If you know your book has problems but don’t know how to fix them, then it’s time for a professional manuscript critique. My manuscript critiques usually run from 30 – 60 pages in length, depending on the length of the manuscript and the issues discussed.
$22 per thousand words
What you’ll get
- Thorough analysis of the major elements of your book as well as clear, practical guidance for any necessary revisions.
- Detailed comments and suggestions throughout your manuscript focusing on specific scenes or passages that need work, along with before-and-after examples to illustrate my points.
- One-on-one consultation with a pro (that would be me) as you incorporate the critique and make revisions to your manuscript.
- Follow-up review of your manuscript after you’ve completed your rewrite.
- The benefit of my thirty-plus years’ experience in the book publishing business.
What you won’t get
- A few pages of generic, canned material that too often masquerades as a critique in this business.
- Brutal criticism – it isn’t constructive or necessary.
I was overwhelmed by the thoroughness of your critique. I had no idea what to expect. It was much more than I thought it would be. I was so excited to get started on the rewrite. The help and guidance you offered during the rewrite was invaluable. I can’t think of anything else you could have done to help in the final editing and proofing process. Maybe the best I can say is that you were a joy to work with. I look forward to you taking a look at my next manuscript.
The advice you gave me during and after the critique of my novel, Touched, has come full circle. You suggested narrowing it to a single viewpoint, simplifying its content, and shortening it to a middle-grade novel. Well, after reworking it several times trying to get it the way I wanted it, I’ve seen the light. I am working on a single-viewpoint version right now that I foresee being about 45,000 to 50,000 words. The language is greatly simplified, and is only from Nat’s viewpoint. I did get some helpful advice from the local writer’s group in my hometown, but nothing that propelled me forward like the information from you. Every day I put words into my story, I am seeing the wisdom in the pages from your critique, and I get closer to a better story.
I’ll read your novel or book-length nonfiction manuscript, evaluate its market potential, and give you a written assessment of its strengths and weaknesses.
Manuscript Editing………………………………………..$40 – $50 per thousand words
I’ll correct the mechanical errors (spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, etc.) and I’ll polish the prose to improve clarity and narrative flow.
Book Proposal……………………………………………….$950 and up
I’ll help you avoid the mistakes that can make the difference between sale and rejection.